Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Wheel locks and keys. The joy and the pain.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
This thread is about wheel locks and keys. Specifically the O.E. accessory types that are typically included with a new vehicle purchased from retail dealership parts departments.
I believe that the most common brand of wheel locks is McGaurd Corporation.
They are the brand i have most frequently found and also the one that has the best replacement key process in place for those people who feel that they must have these on their vehicle.
I purchase wheel keys, on average around six to eight times a year. Due to the work I am involved in. Most customers who are missing the wheel key are unaware that it's not in the car.
I believe that the majority of the keys are broken at tire stores when tires are either rotated or repaired. The techs will pitch the key rather than fess up and order a new one.
A much smaller percentage just get taken out of the car by mistake by the owner.
In either case, the end result is unhappiness.
If a person has these lock sets, do yourself a favor and go online to www.cs.mcgaurd.com and register the lock set number on the package with McGaurd corporation. At least then you will have a much easier time if/when the key gets stripped out ( see image below!) Or is lost.
I found the messed up key in the image last week. It was tossed into the foam tray that sits in the spare rim of Jaguar F Pace. At least they were honest enough to put a regular wheel nut from the kit on the affected wheel.
They simply over torqued the locking lug and tore out the pressed in "puzzle key" guts!
Everyone should probably just loosen the locks when they get to the tire shop and tell them to be careful with the key! 20211016_133023.jpg