City
Coal township pa
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 focus
Hello all i need a car.i found a 2012 sel hatchback at at a local dealer it has one hundred and three thousand miles on it.the car looks good but iam been reading about the transmission problems these cars have ahould i worry about it or find something else

OP
T

Tazz

City
Coal township pa
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 focus
Thread Starter #2
Here is a pic of the car 20191126_142316.jpg

What I Drive
2013 Focus SE and 2015 Focus H/B
You can always check if the transmission had been worked on already, just call Ford with the VIN. If it has not, I would be really weary about buying it. If it has been done, the transmission could last you another 100k.
FYI... we have two ('13 & '15) and both have had the transmission service done while we owned them. Have had no issues since then and my girls (daughters) love their cars.

rcairflr

City
Wichita
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Focus
@Tazz > I just bought a 2012 Ford Focus S sedan with 103000 miles for $4000. Found it on Facebook Marketplace. The car looks basically brand new. I wasn't aware of the transmission problems when I bought it. The car drives, runs and transmission works flawless. I took the car to a Ford dealer to check on any required Recalls. The Service manager informed me that the transmission TCM has a 10 year 150000 warranty.
If I can get 3-4 years of trouble free years out of this car it will have been worth it. I really like the car and hope for no transmission issues.

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Saleen Focus, '17 Focus RS
@Tazz > I just bought a 2012 Ford Focus S sedan with 103000 miles for $4000. Found it on Facebook Marketplace. The car looks basically brand new. I wasn't aware of the transmission problems when I bought it. The car drives, runs and transmission works flawless. I took the car to a Ford dealer to check on any required Recalls. The Service manager informed me that the transmission TCM has a 10 year 150000 warranty.
If I can get 3-4 years of trouble free years out of this car it will have been worth it. I really like the car and hope for no transmission issues.
Congrats!

City
Suwanee
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 SES, RIP 2008 S 5speed
Great job researching before the purchase. The automatics have significant issues from 2012 on. That one you listed is about $3,000 more than I would pay for a 2012. I have seen them on market place for 2,000 to 3,000. I paid $5,000 for a 2011 SES with 85,000 miles ( also an automatic), it has leather seats, heat warmer, ect. I have owned a 2008 s model with a 5 speed. Most reliable car I ever owned. Put 160,000 miles on her without any major repairs, even the original clutch still worked flawlessly. I would still be driving her if it wasn't for a dingbat soccer mom pulling a pit maneuver on me at a stop light. When i went to replace her... I was so impressed i bought another mark 2. My humble opinion is to buy a 2011 with the same mileage for about 1,000 to 2,000 less..... and sleep well at night not worrying about whether the transmission/clutch is getting ready to go.

My 2014 has only 56,000, bought it with 38,000 in June 2018 for $13,000 from a dealer. March 2019 it was in for the clutch packs in the transmission. fast forward September 2019, took it in again for the clutch packs , Yep they had to charge a warranty for a warranty part that was already replaced under warranty. This March no issues yet.