Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Tent camping with a Fiesta..

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #41
I am not expecting our State or County government to be ready for anything. They will be more likely to be the ones sticking a gun in my face to take my stuff! But i still love em, of course. I just don't trust em.

City
Longview
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Fiesta SE
Seems like moving out of the Republic of California would be the better option lol j/k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #43
I finally got the time to post up the measurement pics. I am trying to mount the basket closer to the rear bumper and higher than the original configuration.
I bought the T6061 extruded aluminum tubes and 11 gauge steel tube remnants from a local metal supply store for under $40.
This just a height determination mock up. The riser components will be heliarc welded into a single assembly that will be bolted to a plate surface on the inch and a quarter receiver
tube. I also will be adding a pair of braces in the center on the right and left sides to stabilize the basket from rocking side to side.
I am experimenting. I am not altering the basket itself, only the attachment bracketing. 20210512_152155.jpg 20210512_150453_HDR.jpg
20210512_151632_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
I finally got the time to post up the measurement pics. I am trying to mount the basket closer to the rear bumper and higher than the original configuration.
I bought the T6061 extruded aluminum tubes and 11 gauge steel tube remnants from a local metal supply store for under $40.
This just a height determination mock up. The riser components will be heliarc welded into a single assembly that will be bolted to a plate surface on the inch and a quarter receiver
tube. I also will be adding a pair of braces in the center on the right and left sides to stabilize the basket from rocking side to side.
I am experimenting. I am not altering the basket itself, only the attachment bracketing.
View attachment 5229
That looks good. Is it too close to the exhaust? Hard to tell from the pics. I have read where plastic bins get melted if too close. I know, for you, you want it tucked in tight...so looks like you got it. I also would still use the stabilizing bracket at the receiver. There is considerable slop up-down & side-to-side. I would be worried about side-to-side movement hitting the car...but again you are standing right there, so you can judge that.

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #45
No. It's well above the exhaust outlet. I have some very lightweight, hi tech heat shield material i was planning to use. But, i feel good about where it's at right now. Originally, my reason for mounting it closer was to tuck the box out of the airstream so it wont be buffeted as i blast down the highway.
Im using this 2 inch wide by 1/4 inch thick T6061-T6511 aluminum flat stock for the left and right stabilizers. Haven't decided if i will heliarc the mounting tabs of the same material with stainless steel bolts and nylock nuts or just go with mild steel tabs and welded in place nuts for convenience sake. 20210512_164343.jpg 20210513_082714_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #46
The last batch of "what if" images. I have cut the braces and sent them to a welding shop to get heliarc welded together. It's too much hassle for me to change over my mig welder to do that small stuff. Someday I will get a dedicated Heliarc setup.
I had no problem with making this setup "level". I went with a 70 gallon HDX box, like Lions tooth has. The weight difference is just two point something more pounds than the 55 gallon capacity box i was going to use a month ago. The 70G box is only 3 inches taller and 2.5 inches wider than the 55G box.
I should have no trouble putting the tent, tarp, a pair of folding cloth camp chairs and a small table plus my hibachi grill in the big box.
Might have room to spare. I am excited with how nicely this is coming together! 20210513_082910_HDR.jpg 20210513_092050.jpg 20210513_071151_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
For me, the 70 gal just made more sense. I "could have gotten away with" the 55 but for $5 more & very little size difference AND wheels, I had more capacity but also less stress about packing stuff "just right," so it would all fit. Now it will be more of a throw-it-in-and-go thing. I have used an HDX on my bike trailer, rain or shine, for like 6 years and I love these boxes. Even without the extra sealing tape, nothing got wet. At 65mph, I want the tape though! If I ever get back to autocrossing, this setup will be great for all the track stuff. Get to the venue, the box off, take the basket off, boom!

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
The last batch of "what if" images. I have cut the braces and sent them to a welding shop to get heliarc welded together. It's too much hassle for me to change over my mig welder to do that small stuff. Someday I will get a dedicated Heliarc setup.
I had no problem with making this setup "level". I went with a 70 gallon HDX box, like Lions tooth has. The weight difference is just two point something more pounds than the 55 gallon capacity box i was going to use a month ago. The 70G box is only 3 inches taller and 2.5 inches wider than the 55G box.
I should have no trouble putting the tent, tarp, a pair of folding cloth camp chairs and a small table plus my hibachi grill in the big box.
Might have room to spare. I am excited with how nicely this is coming together! View attachment 5247 View attachment 5248 View attachment 5249
Was is your thinking around adding lights? I passed because the Fiesta rear lamps are up high and seem adequate. Thoughts?

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #49
Was is your thinking around adding lights? I passed because the Fiesta rear lamps are up high and seem adequate. Thoughts?
I am mulling it over. I also am considering putting the plate on the box along with a reverse camera.
Even the big box is barely visable in my rear view mirror. But, i still have the added two plus feet of basket.
I would like you guys to give me feedback on that one.
Should i just create a separate thread for the camera install or just mix it in here?

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
I am mulling it over. I also am considering putting the plate on the box along with a reverse camera. Even the big box is barely visable in my rear view mirror. But, i still have the added two plus feet of basket. I would like you guys to give me feedback on that one. Should i just create a separate thread for the camera install or just mix it in here?
I think the backup cam here is relevant.

I am considering the license plate on the back, as well (on the basket, not the bin). Seems like being proactive might be best. But, then do I light the plate? Then will I put lights on the basket? AAAAAAhhhhhhh....down the hill I go!

I am not concerned about a backup camera. Never had one, so I don't have any experience. I can't see the bin at all, but like having a trailer, I just need to consider that it's back there...so no parallel parking(!)...gotta think about how I will get out of a spot before I park in it, etc.

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #51
It's a slippery slope we are on! I am still well under my original budget. The added lights on each side , amber. And a pair in back, red. Plus the plate lamp and possible separate power lead to the camera would be a simple harness and two connectors. Not a big deal to do and almost no effort to disconnect.
If the big box were yellow and the lid black, i wouldn't be considering lights. Then maybe, a few strips of conspicuity tape.
The time spent considering the options and discussion about the best path forward is the most "fun" aspect of these threads! Then later, when something that I thought up doesn't work very well, everyone here will have even more fun asking me "what the hell was i thinking? " Or "what was i smoking?". It's all just great!

Last edited:

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
It's a slippery slope we are on! I am still well under my original budget. The added lights on each side , amber. And a pair in back, red. Plus the plate lamp and possible separate power lead to the camera would be a simple harness and two connectors. Not a big deal to do and almost no effort to disconnect.
If the big box were yellow and the lid black, i wouldn't be considering lights. Then maybe, a few strips of conspicuity tape.
I just put my basket/bin on for a weekend road trip. Don't really need it, but I want to put 500 miles on the set up before I drive to Colorado. Choosing not to move the license plate at this point. If I get stopped, I will move it. Otherwise it's just a fix-it ticket.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I'd just either add or keep the compiscuity reflectors as needed and if any stopping due to lack of tag, a temp solution would be to use a heavy pull magnet and set up inside the box using the magnet and or use a simple pair of bolt thru to hold the plate and skip the magnet.

Makes a fun read...

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #54
Sorry. I missed the obvious point of your question! My reason for considering lights is more specifically for depth perception or making it very clear that there is something taking up space back there. Especially driving at night.
My thinking on the reverse camera is "what the hell". I have a couple of kits leftover from a work project. So, cost is nil. My decision to mount the basket much closer to the rear bumper would, to use a worn phrase, "bite me in the ass" immediately if i were to back into anything. A $500 bumper cover is a big motivator.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
521 miles on the setup this weekend, and no issues. Had a ton of rain today coming home for about 150 miles and not a drop inside the box. Had it up as high as 95mph...can't even tell the box is back there. For my next trip, I will add a single strap across the opposite axis, just for my peace of mind.

20210516_120608-01.jpeg

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #59
Good to hear that it was a uneventful trip. It gives me the motivation to lean into wrapping my setup as soon as possible.
I am doing an install of a simple rear camera kit mounted to a metal bracket that also holds the plate. The high mounted position of my setup completely hides the plate.
Probably put this one in the exterior modifications area because only the camera location is different from a normal reverse camera install.
20210516_204226.jpg

Last edited:

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Good to hear that it was a uneventful trip. It gives me the motivation to lean into wrapping my setup as soon as possible.
I am doing an install of a simple rear camera kit mounted to a metal bracket that also holds the plate. The high mounted position of my setup completely hides the plate.
Probably put this one in the exterior modifications area because only the camera location is different from a normal reverse camera install.
Hard-wired to the backup lights? Wireless reception? Link to your install and results, here....thanks!