Replacement Tires to Enhance Ride Comfort?

City
Milwaukee
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Focus Titanium
I have done some research online (Tirerack.com, etc) but wondering if anyone has butt-in-seat experience with alternate tires vs OEM that provide a smoother ride and/or less road noise. I don't need go-kart like handling, just looking for an enhancement to up the comfort level a notch.

Harvick

When I had my Focus, I switched from Pirelli to Continental ExtremeContact and they were much quieter, I plan on doing the same with the Ecosport when the tires wear down.

OP
Titanium4WD
City
Milwaukee
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Focus Titanium
Thread Starter #3
That's funny - I will be going from a Focus to the Ecosport when the lease is up. Really want the Ecosport but am looking to polish a few of the rough edges.

State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford EcoSport Titanium
The other option is to go down to a 16" wheel and get taller tires for more comfort.

OP
Titanium4WD
City
Milwaukee
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Focus Titanium
Thread Starter #5
I did something called upsizing (I think) on a previous car that seemed to work well. An option here?

State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ecosport
The SES and Titanium come standard with 17". All other other trims come with 16". I can tell you from test driving the 16" its seems a bit smoother but its not that noticeable. I ended up getting the SES with 17" and the ride is quality great.

snowman

State
PA
Country
United States
I'm running 17" too, no problems with comfort. Do you feel it's just too harsh or too noisy?

OP
Titanium4WD
City
Milwaukee
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Focus Titanium
Thread Starter #8
Not necessarily, just always interested in ways to minimize NVH in smaller vehicles.

Koko07

City
Lexington
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford EcoSport Titanium AWD
Not sure why Ford would put low profile tires on an SUV. My size is 205/50R17. I do not want to go to a smaller tire, 16. I want to keep my wheels that I have, 17. I want an TALLER tire on this 17 wheel. Is there anyway to go to 205/65R17 or 215/70R17 etc? All the tables are concerned with MATCHING the size tire to keep the speedo correct. I do not care about that. I want more tire and air between me and the road.

cuemark8

Did you make a purchase yet?
I've questioning similar things in 2 other posts.

First, on the S and SE trim they come equiped with 205/60/16 wheels and tires.
That a taller tire than the setup with the SES and Titanium trim with 205/50/17 wheels and tires.

Outside diameter of the 205/60/16 tire is 25.7 inches tall.
Outside diameter of the 205/50/17 tires is
25.0 inches tall.

That's a significant difference. Not sure if speedo and odometer were calibrated differently? I doubt it!
But it's a different of 2.49%. Typically general rule of thumb switching tires if no more or less 3% difference.

Since sidewall height is a percentage of tread width. IE. a 50 series tire that's 8" wide tread would have sidewall 50% of width. IE. 4" high side wall.

I didn't catch what trim level you have. Titanium trim level use a 17x7" wheel. The SES uses a 17x7.5" wheel unique to the SES trim. That said, you should be able to go to wider tire if you wish. A 215/50/17 tire or 225/50/17 may be acceptable. They are wider and may smooth the bumps. Both would also be taller even though sidewall series is the same.
A 215/50/17 tire would be 25.5 " tall.
A 225/50/17 tire would be 25.9" tall.
Both tires would fit either rim width within tolerances of tire manufacturers.

A 205/55/17 tire measures in also at 25.9 " tall. Slightly taller than OEM 205/60/16 tire.
I think it would fit without issues and give you a better ride.

Personally, I think going wider and taller at the same time gives you the best edge for smoothing out bumps.

205/60/17, 205/65/17. Absolutely no chance I see a tire that size fitting!

Don't go to aggressive. Different tires sizes affect ABS, wheel sensors, Traction control, and speedometer, and odometer readings.

A larger tire, probably will sap some fuel economy because of a higher rolling resistance.

A larger tire takes more power and torque to turn also. A larger tire may make a noticeable difference in acceleration.

The Ford Ecosport does not an extra abundance of power or torque to turn larger tires.

In time, when I need new tires, I was considering also going to a 215/50/17 or 225/50/17 tire or even a 225/45/17 tire. All for similar reasons you ask about. More sidewall for a smoother ride. There is a significant more selection of tires available in the 215/50/17 and 225/50/17 sizes compared to the 205/50/17 size, which isn't all that common.

I just switch to a winter tire set and went with 205/60/16 tires on 16" wheels OEM wheels from a Ford Fiesta. Those wheels have a 47.5 mm offset while all of the Ford Ecosport wheels have a 37.5 mm offset.
My winter tires and wheels are set in closer to the Strut tower by about 4mm. Those Fiesta wheels are 6.5" wide wheel. There is reasonable clearance so I feel comfortable believing a 215 or 225 width tire would fit just fine using the OEM 17" wheels.

I am not a mechanic. Just an average DYIer

One more thing, If you search winter tires at Tirerack, their experts list a wider 215/55/16 tire as an optional winter tire setup for the Ecosport.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk