City
Princeton, NJ, USA
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
Focus 2017 Titanium
Hi, new member here with a 2017 Focus Titanium. The car is originally registered in Canada although I now run in the US, imported 2021. It's now time to replace the all-season tires which were fitted to the car when I bought it in 2020. I have had no issues at all with the Continental ContiProContact tires which I suppose is a good recommendation (215/50R17). I had no issues during winter snow, and for summer I thought the road holding was good also. Locally here in the US, I have been told that the Continentals are on back-order so the options are from GoodYear, Dunlop and Hankook. Are there all-season tires from those brands which forum members have experience with and can recommend?

Previous to the Focus, I was running around with a few Mazda Miatas and there were some brand/tires in particular which forum members (Miata.net for example) considered good options for either summer or winter.

Just looking for some advise/recommendations from Forum members on what are considered as recommended all-seasons

Kennedy

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Welcome!

All Season? Well, I currently am using the Hankook brand and as time (and $$$) permit - I'm going towards a different brand of tire - looking into Cooper line for the upgrade - Bridgestone might be a close second.
  • really, this settles into a "gosh, so - do I go for Gummy Gum-Shoe material" that's only good for making small erasers when I leave to go somewhere in a bit of a hurry, or go for the "Hard as Rocks tires" and jar my head and my passengers' bones into fertilizer for sprinkling on Grandmas' Roses?
  • Right now, it looks like (IMO) economics are going to be playing a major role in the choices still available from local suppliers (which I support Buy Locally)
So since the tread designs and traction effects go hand-in-hand - it's a hard choice to simply offer - "try this" for as my experience has been in where I live as part of the rust belt - the better tires are the big-balloon ones that keep you out - or at least "bounce" you out of a pothole so you and your vehicle can live to see another day.

I'm my own efforts, I find the Fiesta "Standard Placard" Recommended size WIDTH to be a bit too large - but if you are using a alloy-metal wheel rim of 16" 7"Width or larger - remember there is less distance between you and that hazard - being the rubber and the more expen$ive rim to strike and make contact with it - make the survivability of such matters less likely - they are good strong cars, but they are not tanks...you mention 17" Rim so that already puts you in a 50% sidewall - and at 215 - even that is putting you into a wider - more scrub and wear - width than a 185/70R15 6.0" width with an offset of +41mm - so if you are using 17 and 215 - you're at least 7" wide rim and offset provided is only so much protection and load bearing - so you'll encounter issues with steering if you decide to go WIDER - you get a lot more friction and even more loss in gas mileage if that is what you're trying to avoid - or just the extra width and the steering scrub itself adds to the cost of this too.

Now you may know why Hankook tires and the Hardness they have - and the Continental brand ones you have been using is why you have had them for as long as you have.

Then too - I am also looking into 2 sets of tires for winter/summer with different rim sizes for comfort and a few more mm of protection from road hazards like Potholes - they can swallow cars the size of a Chevy Metro - and if current budgetary constraints from the State continue NOT to be used to fix our roads, are still in effect - then those same 'oles may enlarge to take on Fiestas and an Occasional Focus...

1650590963615.png

It's the Semi's falling into a Sinkhole that makes you glad to be living where you are...