Interior Mirror/Compass Issue

JackO

Hi all,

Sorry for the long-winded story........

Last year I bought a 2010 Focus SEL with 8,000 real miles!!! Had the body damage repaired, and my wife and daughter have been driving it with only one problem: they both HATE the auto-dimming interior mirror. So I popped the mirror off, and replaced it with an aftermarket manual dimming unit. They're happy now...but I did lose the compass.

So I have two questions for any experts out there:

1 - I'd like to get the compass back. I didn't cut any wires, so there's no permanent damage done. Is there any sort of transducer or other part that I could splice in that would work to restore the compass?

2 - Is there any other function(s) that I've lost that I'm still blissfully unaware of?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

JackO

MKIIIRS

Shouldn't be any issues. The autodimming feature uses the mirror's power so you can't disable that without losing power to the compass feature. The only way I can think of is to take the mirror apart and disable the dimmer assembly.

OP
J

JackO

Thread Starter #3
More complicated than I thought....

Thanks for the reply. Turns out there's more in that mirror. The Bluetooth microphone is in there too, and you totally lose the BT when there's no mic.

I put the auto mirror back in the car, and told my wife and daughter to live with it........or don't drive at night.

Jack

Thanks for the reply. Turns out there's more in that mirror. The Bluetooth microphone is in there too, and you totally lose the BT when there's no mic.

I put the auto mirror back in the car, and told my wife and daughter to live with it........or don't drive at night.

Jack
Adding a piece of black tape to the auto dim sensor should disable it.

OP
J

JackO

Thread Starter #5
Adding a piece of black tape to the auto dim sensor should disable it.

My problem is that it doesn't dim enough. Actually I'm thinking of the front-facing sensor. In traffic, the approaching cars make the sensor think it's daylight. So the mirror never dims and the SUV behind me blinds me. A piece of tape on the front might help. Maybe.

Interestingly, a friend of mine has a VW with a shut-off switch on the auto mirror.

Thanks tho,

Jack