Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Help - electric mirrors and driver window not working!

City
Wisbech
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta 2010
Hello!

My car drivers side electric window has suddenly stopped working along with the electric side mirrors.

I recently discovered a button on my driver side door which closed my side mirrors in while in the car, which I thought could be handy!

The following day suddenly they are not opening when I unlock the car, they’re permanently closed in, and my drivers side window will also not go down at all. Feels a coincidence they’ve both stopped working at the same time.

Wondering what could have caused this and if this is something I might be able to diagnose and fix before taking it into a mechanic.

Thank you so much!
Jasmin

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The first thing I would try is to disconnect the negative battery cable and then just leave it disconnected for a few minutes. Before you do that, shut off everything that is powered by a manual switch, heater,audio system, wipers etc. Make sure that the post and terminal is clean of corrosion after it is removed from the battery.
Basically, you are going to be doing a hard reboot of your vehicle.
Reconnect the cable and then start the engine and have a go with the windows and mirrors.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
IT may also require that you remove the interior door panel and investigate the "door lockout" switch that caused this.

1684098491047.png

You own a 2010 - so it is not out of the question that corrosion has set in and now the switch can't restore operation -the housing may have had water entry and the system seals in it, have failed and the power routing circuits used for that lockout switch to work, are badly corroded - affecting how power can route to the windows to work again. The logic circuit is pretty simple - but to lose the main drivers side window at the same time - may mean a blown fuse, or a trip to the service department to have them try and replace the switch - and hope the wiring is not causing this.

Locate your Engine Compartment Fuse Box...
1684080176124.png

Not a big deal when the windows are up and it's winter - but rain and snow take their tolls - now it's summer coming on and you have to use the windows - the 2010 year until now - being 13 years. Something's gotta' give.

1684080141943.png
Then if that fuse is still good...
Then locate your secondary one - (Fuse Box)
Passenger compartment behind Glove box.

1684080277515.png
Locate F26 - 30A

OR if you have this design behind the Glove Box.

1684080381687.png

It's F25 and R2 and R3 relays inclusive.​

It's not uncommon to have limit switches go bad or just stay stuck - so if the fuses are good, then the Mirror assembly has to be checked - that is a trip to the service department.

For the limit switch itself is not unlike a Wiper Motor - the transmission is to fold the mirror in and the motor reverse to unfold it by reversing polarity at that limit switch so it knows how, but if the limit switch stop is not completed, the switch can leave the ability to restore the mirror in jeopardy - it can't compete the circuit, because the reversal condition the circuit does, can't be completed - the line just goes dead and the mirror just sits there.

Last edited:
OP
J
City
Wisbech
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta 2010
Thread Starter #4
The first thing I would try is to disconnect the negative battery cable and then just leave it disconnected for a few minutes. Before you do that, shut off everything that is powered by a manual switch, heater,audio system, wipers etc. Make sure that the post and terminal is clean of corrosion after it is removed from the battery.
Basically, you are going to be doing a hard reboot of your vehicle.
Reconnect the cable and then start the engine and have a go with the windows and mirrors.
Thank you kindly for taking the time to reply! Sadly this didn’t fix the issue though 😞

OP
J
City
Wisbech
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta 2010
Thread Starter #5
IT may also require that you remove the interior door panel and investigate the "door lockout" switch that caused this.

You own a 2010 - so it is not out of the question that corrosion has set in and now the switch can't restore operation -the housing may have had water entry and the system seals in it, have failed and the power routing circuits used for that lockout switch to work, are badly corroded - affecting how power can route to the windows to work again. The logic circuit is pretty simple - but to lose the main drivers side window at the same time - may mean a blown fuse, or a trip to the service department to have them try and replace the switch - and hope the wiring is not causing this.

Locate your Engine Compartment Fuse Box...

Not a big deal when the windows are up and it's winter - but rain and snow take their tolls - now it's summer coming on and you have to use the windows - the 2010 year until now - being 13 years. Something's gotta' give.

View attachment 8014
Then if that fuse is still good...
Then locate your secondary one - (Fuse Box)
Passenger compartment behind Glove box.

View attachment 8016
Locate F26 - 30A

OR if you have this design behind the Glove Box.

View attachment 8017

It's F25 and R2 and R3 relays inclusive.​

It's not uncommon to have limit switches go bad or just stay stuck - so if the fuses are good, then the Mirror assembly has to be checked - that is a trip to the service department.

For the limit switch itself is not unlike a Wiper Motor - the transmission is to fold the mirror in and the motor reverse to unfold it by reversing polarity at that limit switch so it knows how, but if the limit switch stop is not completed, the switch can leave the ability to restore the mirror in jeopardy - it can't compete the circuit, because the reversal condition the circuit does, can't be completed - the line just goes dead and the mirror just sits there.
Hi, thank you so much for your reply and with so much detail! I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Sorry I didn’t see this until just now.

I can certainly try the above! However I realised I didn’t mention that I can wind down the passenger side mirror the controller on the drivers side, it’s only the driver window that won’t do anything, plus the mirrors. Would the advice you have provided still be relevant do you think? I would have thought they’d all be on the same fuse! To me it’s strange these 2 things have stopped working yet part of it is (passenger window).

Thank you again, I look forward to your reply ☺️

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The swing arm and the window are tied to a single power source - so the "button" has an option of "Auto" thru the SYNC Menu - that OK - thru the MENU os Vehicle settings and Center Console - MANUAL operation overrides the Auto you would have when parking - and if the Auto is set by accident - you need to RESTORE the Mirror to OEM position using the MANUAL to bring it back out.

Due to this "logic error" I think the "Window unable to go up or down" is due to the conflict so you don't put you or the vehicle in a panicking and self-inflicted damage mode.

If you look at the graphic above, you may need to set which mirror you want to manually control - so you'll have to turn that knob to the mirror you wish to control - then see if that option can then restore the Mirror operation - by pressing down.

So if the Fuses are ok, and the key in the ignition and started - the Center consoles MENU function for Power Mirror control is set to off - it may allow you to be able to release this condition and restore your ability to control the mirror and make it swing back out.

Last edited:

Wr3499

City
Placerville
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Fiesta st
I'm having the same issue. All fuses and relays are good. Can't figure it out