City
cincy
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2002 Focus ZX5 hatchback
Hey everyone. I went to recharge my air today and had an issue. The car wouldn't take any refrigerant? I use the cans you get from parts store with a nifty handle with a gauge. Air was on max cool fan on, but it wasn't taking a charge? Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP

02zx5

City
cincy
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2002 Focus ZX5 hatchback
Thread Starter #2
Update, all the relays seem to be fine. Switched a few no issues. A/c clutch isn't engaging.

City
Chambersburg
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2003 Ford Focus ZX5
Hey everyone. I went to recharge my air today and had an issue. The car wouldn't take any refrigerant? I use the cans you get from parts store with a nifty handle with a gauge. Air was on max cool fan on, but it wasn't taking a charge? Any ideas?

I’m having the same issue. I checked the clutch; it seems to engage and immediately disengage. Compressor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knuckles

City
Hagerstown
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Focus SE
I know this is an old thread, but what ended up being your problem? I'm having the same issue.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
There are several things that can go wrong, up to and including the compressor, but two others are not mentioned often but might need to be inspected.

One being the FREON level - it needs to provide pressure to even work, don't want the system to engage a "Dry line" for it can damage the pump if not already dried out from lack of freon and its carrier agent lubricant.

Another is the needle valve that causes the constriction, and the expansion of the freon thru that nozzle...

1656804749390.png
Your valve Reference may vary, but this gives you the idea.
1656805103303.png

Last edited:

knuckles

City
Hagerstown
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Focus SE
I took it to Ford and they said it charged without issue. They wouldn't tell me what they did to get it to take a charge other than "we hooked it to our machine and we filled it" Think Idiocracy with the Brondo scene as I keep asking what they did.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
With the R134a systems, they use a machine that evacuates or takes up the old FREON, or new FREON - but they also monitor the system using a scanner on the OBD port.

One of the things we used to do is just fill it up with FREON and be done with it, but todays newer cars have several critical components in the AC unit - so the system needs a specific amount - and no more.

Been finding that out as I ask questions with the various shops, I've visited

So for them to say, we checked it - seems kind of fishy - more like something else they had to do but can't tell you.

Remember that there is a lubricant in with the Freon they have to use a specific type too, so that amount as well as type can mean they may have found the pressures not right so the balanced it in using their machine to get it to work again.