Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2015 SE HB Build

OP
LionsTooth

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Thread Starter #103
Only got to the lug nuts, today. Nothing else came in the mail, except the air filter...gotta wait 'til the filter oil shows up on Monday.

Man, I am so glad I did this. The stock nut caps were still on the left front wheel nuts and they would not come off. I had to beat them off with a hammer and a punch. What should have taken 5 minutes took 30 on that wheel. What a nightmare these things are. What were they thinking? I imagine my daughter trying to change a tire in the middle of the night battling these stupid caps. Caps...now trashed! Gotta dress up the tires to match the shiny new nuts!

View attachment 4365 View attachment 4366
Saw this on Instagram....oh how I hate when stupidity gets into production.

Screenshot_20211013-141543_Instagram.jpg

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Ranks right up there with the one lug nut that has to have a "key"
1634299599771.png

Cruze as well as many others used a "speschul chuck-chock key" - and for that-many an owner left their vehicles on the side of the road because they couldn't figure out how to take off, let alone put on, their spare tire...

Had to help someone take off their tire. It had one of the above. To remove it - used a pair of Vise-grips to "torque" off the nut and sub in a new "regular" one.

• These are simple "anti-theft" types that were "keyed" to the vehicle VIN and were dozens of combinations used during their assembly line days
  • Can't just go in and get one from a dealer, AutoZone laughs - O'Rileys offer Dumb Looks (Which are still free) - and since these are specific to a type of year or model - you have to special order one through the dealer as a replacement "chuck key" about $75 in 2019 dollars...2 week wait for that now.

He had more, each wheel had one. A good spare in the trunk but empty glove box and no tire wrench either.

I left it with that and just changed the tire - he had no clue where the "key" was.
  • - so be aware of those whom buy used from a private or unscrupulous dealer - you might get stuck on the side of road from the loss of this special chuck key to remove that last lug nut.
I feel your pain...

Last edited:
City
North Canton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Fiesta
Has anybody considered doing a resonator delete or has done it already? I’ve been wanting to make my Fiesta sound louder for a couple years now but haven’t concluded on the best way to do that. Or if there’s any performance mufflers you guys might recommend?

OP
LionsTooth

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #106
Has anybody considered doing a resonator delete or has done it already? I’ve been wanting to make my Fiesta sound louder for a couple years now but haven’t concluded on the best way to do that. Or if there’s any performance mufflers you guys might recommend?
I am not interested in loud...it's always nice to silently outrun someone. I did remove the batting from under the hood and that did raise the noise slightly, but removing it is was more I found it annoying and ugly, more than for the sound.

City
North Canton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Fiesta
I am not interested in loud...it's always nice to silently outrun someone. I did remove the batting from under the hood and that did raise the noise slightly, but removing it is was more I found it annoying and ugly, more than for the sound.
I completely understand that, it’s definitely a preference thing! I’ll have to keep doing some research. I love your build so far! I’ve made a lot of the same changes as you and you’ve inspired me on a few more ideas. I just ordered those sequential mirror indicators and can’t wait for them to come in! I love the look of your plasti dip grille as well. I’ve been trying to find a black honeycomb design but it’s hard finding one for the SE’s :(

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
I may just be talking out my ass, but I'd leave the resonator. Find a louder muffler. You want more noise outside, not inside when you're going 75 on the freeway.
The ST line cars got the same exhaust as the ST. That exhaust isn't much louder than the base exhaust, but it flows a little more. Doesn't change the power.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
When you search here for that very thing, many claim to offer "remove this" or Replace that - type of approach, but to be honest, look under there.

Starting with the Catalyst on towards the back - it's pretty much one piece and you have the Resonator (Collector) and then the Muffler - in two different sections of the car - one; the main muffler is at the back, while the Resonator (I call it a collector due to the nature of the device) acts as a means to take up the pulsing of exhaust from the single downpipe into and thru, past the catalyst - to help slow the flow of pulses and begin the smoothing effects (hence Resonator) towards the muffler.

Many just remove that resonator but fail to acheive the desired effects, for several reasons - so do some research first to save your money for your true effort at the "Moneyball".

So when you take out your calipers to measure diameters - are you looking at backflow / pressure problems or just generating a tuned effect?

Backpressure is a needed restriction for the system to even survive these days. The heat produced from the fuels used in todays cars is vastly different - so the burn rates - onto the ash particulate content is pre-set by the emissions - playing with this is literally playing with fire - heat is used to help the catalyst "modify" the exhaust - but too much of a good thing - usually is. You can form a small "Chernobyl" if you try to play with mixtures and even ream out or melt down it's core to reduce the backpressure needed to handle emissions- you're simply shortening the life of the vehicles ability to take you anywhere - what good is that?
  • IF you're a parent - remember too you don't want to have the kids in the backseat getting "Gassed" while they are chauffeured by you - I can attest to the facts that the schools systems do notice your childs actions upon arrival to school - some lackadasical-attitude is fine and understandable - but acting close to comatose and smelling of the stench from the exhaust from a passing bus will raise eyebrows.
Best to leave the catalyst - even though it's what changes the whole mess...

1634644135836.png

Tuning exhaust - Then you're into a realm of music like that similar to Brass instruments - start with the tuba and then onto the trombone to develop the tone of the effects you want to have. Resonations can be both destructive and constructive - what Ford and others try to do, is considered destructive - Anti nodal - cancellation - so if you like the tone of "D" you might want to buy a vehicle with an engine that pushes more air out of the system to handle that note - the Fiesta - to me, is in the Key of "F". - No offense - Sorry :unsure::unsure:

1634691538378.png
Even V8 motors are hard pressed to push past the key of "D" even in the Treble cleft range - the Bass Cleft is still above that rumble (sub-bass BBB♯) but that is from the slower idle "push" or wellspring of emptying the cylinder does once the "puff" is exhumed from the stroke. It's hard to beat, (ahemn) that effect from the engine but remember too, the engines' 8 cylinders are firing at 90 degrees from each other, while a V6 has 120, onto the 4-cylinder using 180 degrees of rotation before the next puff, so you'll begin to see where the effort to acheive a particular sound does better when you have the instrument or engine design to produce the effect is already under the hood that pushes enough air into the system to acheive it.

So unless you like to listen to loose lugnuts and rivet rattle - trying to get more out of the system you currently have requires more than the space under the hood than what it currently can provide. However, you can "tune the system" with more of a pre-set length of tube to help the Bass notes and rumble effect you do have enough power in volume and air pressure to produce - versus making the thing sound like you just arrived on a Stihl 2-cycle Chain saw...
1692753319186.png
The above is a cutaway of a Ford Exhaust muffler for a F150.​

• Ok, many would ask, "You know...that is not on the Fiesta..."
  • No, it's not, but is to prove a point.
  • Note the use of chambers and the main inlet tube is using two with each one a branch Tee - note the lengths of the Tee and the location of the main Port is one of the last before the final one that is the tailpipe - using the effects of wave cancellation because of the backpressure the system has in this area - slows down the puffs, this is pretty much the what Ford applies to all their Muffler systems.
  • Also, they do not use Fiberglass - it just doesn't last as long or is as durable.
  • Many feel the Exhaust system for the Fiesta seems to be it's biggest loss of power.
1692757386110.png

• In reality - it's not. Many other sites have proven that a small level of backpressure in the system helps with Low-End Torque. Like Here and even over here...
  • An effect called "scavenging" can ruin the ability to use the leftover unburned exhaust fumes from the combustion to offer a bed of added fertilizer to make the next stroke more productive.
    • Yes, I said that, because of an event with Valve timing and the slower release of the exhaust on low RPM moments. You can change the valve timing to allow the exhaust and intake to either overlap, or not - to allow the vacuum in the pipes and cylinder - to enhance the intake of fresh charge and to remove the exhaust - but utilize the vacuum present - to remove and displace - what is left in the cylinder.
    • Ok, I remember a thread or maybe two about how motors evolved thru the years and now Sigma, Ford's latest, is a 4 port system - 2 intake - 2 exhaust, while other earlier versions used one intake (albeit very large port) and two exhaust.
So although it seems counterproductive, the tone of resonation can be located further back to the rear of the car using longer pipes of a progressive diameter to offset the loss the resonator - which counterproduced the effect of what you wanted - but then remember too, the predominate note the engine produces requires the engine to be far larger in output volume of air in a given pressure to obtain the lower notes - you can only get so much out of it.

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Andy hit the sweet spot exactly. It's much more accurate to describe the resonator as a "collector". Think of exhaust flow coming out of the catalyst like school letting out for the day. The unleashed yout's pour out the doors yelling and poking at each other.
But they have to stop and get into some sort of constrained order to step onto the buses to take them home. So they sort of "pile up" or "collect" before moving on in a more controlled way (exhaust pipe). The muffler is where the little reprobates that spilled out of school a short time ago get tamed into something that either sounds like a choir or an angry lion or the aftermath of a Del Taco lunch.
My brother and I loved the exhaust fragrance my dads 390 v8, 68 Country Squire wagon produced when he fueled it with Sunoco 260!
Thanks for leaving the tailgate glass down, Dad!

OP
LionsTooth

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #111
I completely understand that, it’s definitely a preference thing! I’ll have to keep doing some research. I love your build so far! I’ve made a lot of the same changes as you and you’ve inspired me on a few more ideas. I just ordered those sequential mirror indicators and can’t wait for them to come in! I love the look of your plasti dip grille as well. I’ve been trying to find a black honeycomb design but it’s hard finding one for the SE’s :(
I never was able to find a honeycomb that would fit a US Spec SE. The dip is working well; I blast it at the car wash regularly and no issues.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
My brother and I loved the exhaust fragrance my dads 390 v8, 68 Country Squire wagon produced when he fueled it with Sunoco 260!
Is it me or has anyone else noticed that certain perfumes have the slightest tint/hint of WD-40? (A dab behind the ears to get the spouse to notice her during Racing season?)

When you mentioned that "Fragrance" - I too remember the olden days when you knew you have the cars' 'bureator - tuned just right when the exhaust went from "wet sour" sulfur to something more like an old Bourbon (sharp) or as a Whiskey - almost sweet. Different Premiums gave you slightly different scents...

I don't know why I know that ... Guess I'm getting Old...but you can tell the ones that spent all their money on payments when the gas they run their Hi-Po miracle with, is the cheapest on the planet - everyone else following them knows it...*gasp - cough - cough - choke*

OP
LionsTooth

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #113
Is it me or has anyone else noticed that certain perfumes have the slightest tint/hint of WD-40? (A dab behind the ears to get the spouse to notice her during Racing season?)

When you mentioned that "Fragrance" - I too remember the olden days when you knew you have the cars' 'bureator - tuned just right when the exhaust went from "wet sour" sulfur to something more like an old Bourbon (sharp) or as a Whiskey - almost sweet. Different Premiums gave you slightly different scents...

I don't know why I know that ... Guess I'm getting Old...but you can tell the ones that spent all their money on payments when the gas they run their Hi-Po miracle with, is the cheapest on the planet - everyone else following them knows it...*gasp - cough - cough - choke*
I had a carburated 914 that I used to occasionally run Daeco 103 av gas in. Oh now that was heaven!

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I think the ethanol content has tendency to level the smell of most motor fuels. I recently bought a few gallons of 110 octane VP racing fuel. Zero ethanol. Different smell when i fired up the tractor. Almost had a flashback to 1970! Not quite the same as Sunoco 260 but still very potent.
If such a thing as a wayback machine existed, i like to think it would run on that stuff.
The previously mentioned ford wagon with my brother and I standing by. The car is long gone but the memories of my dad opening up the secondaries to " blow out the carbon" and learning what the "good stuff" Dad liked to fuel it with are the beginning point of my car centric life. 20211019_192910.jpg

Last edited:
OP
LionsTooth

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #117
No, you don't want to see the photos of me with the 76' AMC pacer...[hah][hatchet]

You were tall enuff to drive ya' know...
Or my dad's two...yes...he had them back to back....Baja Bronze Gremlins....then he got a green Vega.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Or my dad's two...yes...he had them back to back....Baja Bronze Gremlins....then he got a green Vega.
A first cousin had a new Levi's Gremlin. I thought that it was cool from day one. Unique, fun and also practical. It was a 1973 version. So, slightly different bumpers than the image. I wouldn't be at all embarrassed to drive one of those. e0629ea0266b1dbdadc433201edb0c31-1.jpg

Last edited:

MKVIIST

Staff Team
State
AZ
Country
United States
As a kid I always love the way the Gremlins looked.

A first cousin had a new Levi's Gremlin. I thought that it was cool from day one. Unique, fun and also practical. It was a 1973 version. So, slightly different bumpers than the image. I wouldn't be at all embarrassed to drive one of those. View attachment 5828

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
As a kid I always love the way the Gremlins looked.
You can fit a V8 in one, too. A car that light would be fun (in a straight line) with 400+ horsepower. [driving]

Old AMCs are still reasonably cheap, unlike a lot of other cars from that era. The bodies rusted easily, but that was true of anything at the time. The engines were reliable.

Last edited: