City
Sarasota
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Focus Titanium
I purchased a 2012 Ford Focus 2 years ago with 50k miles. I’m at 105K now and it is running terribly. Lots of engine noise at any speed/ rpm. When I’m cruising it stays at 2200 but if I try to accelerate quickly there is a delay and then it jumps to almost redline. Rough idle, stall on first start, check engine light.

In recent months I have replaced:
Front struts
Tie rods
Control arms
Fuel injectors
Fuel pump
Throttle body

I’m thinking a bad purge valve? Or PCV valve?
Transmission issues?

I work at a shop and we are going to do a full inspection on it in the next few days, but I am upside down on this vehicle and have to keep driving it for at least the next few weeks while I shop for a (hopefully) running project car so I don’t want to trash it too bad in the meantime.

City
Dallas
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
13 Focus Titanium
First, if there are any codes related to running rich/evap leaks, you need to take it to the dealership. What happens is that the PCM is improperly programmed to manage the EVAP PURGE VALVE, so it ends up killing it, which makes it constantly pull vacuum on your fuel system. This will cause a hard start issue, issues filling up your gas tank, improper fuel level gauge readings, and if it gets bad enough, will pull your fuel tank so much into a vacuum that the tank will come off the retaining strap and (basically implode) your tank. The Recall for this issue calls for a technician to inspect the gas tank, (if it's 1 inch off the strap, then to replace it). If there are any DTC's related to the fuel system, to REPLACE the purge valve, reprogram the PCM, and inspect the EVAP canister for fuel contamination. If fuel is present in the canister, immediately replace it. Most fuel tanks and canisters are ok, the purge valve is the main culprit. Ford can't make a good one. I do about 3-5 of these a week working at a Ford dealership.
Sidenote* it sounds like you also have some transmission issues, which is VERY COMMON in these cars. The DPS6 is a garbage transmission.