City
White Bear Lake
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 SE
Argh, baffled why my 2011 Focus SE makes a loud whining noise on heat with defrost settings. Does not happen on heat only settings. I opened up the heater thinking maybe there was leave debris causing the noise. No debris in the heater cage or in the casing from what I could see. Thoughts on what is causing the whiny noise?

Last edited:

MKIIIRS

It could be. When was the last time you replaced the cabin filter?

Ford-Focus-2008-ac-filter.jpg

Also might want to check under the cowl to see if there are any leaves stuck in there.
pic-1963446593109060271-1600x1200.jpeg

OP
T
City
White Bear Lake
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 SE
Thread Starter #3
Unfortunately, my Focus does not have a cabin air filter. Per Chilton manual, 2005 and later Focus’ do not have cabin air filters. Checked for debris under hood area as well. Noise sounds like it is possibly coming from alternator or AC compressor clutch.

What I Drive
2013 Focus SE and 2015 Focus H/B
If you are getting the whining when the defrost is on, it's usually your A/C compressor. When you turn your defrost on, the A/C also comes on (you can Google that). If it's humming/whining, hopefully it's just a belt issue. If not, you should get your compressor checked... it may need to be recharged. Does it whine if you just turn on your A/C... cold or hot?

OP
T
City
White Bear Lake
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 SE
Thread Starter #5
Yes, it does whine also with AC cold or hot.