Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

sticky/notchy steering

City
Dianella
State
WA
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2014 WZ Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost
Hey Gents,

i have just bought a 2014 WZ 1.0 ecoboost and have noticed that the steering it sticky when moving from centre on the freeway.
It feels steering its sitting in a groove then when moved left or right a couple of degrees its sits in another and doesn't come back to centre freely.

it only happens when sitting above 80kmph

Any ideas

TIA

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Hey Gents,
i have just bought a 2014 WZ 1.0 ecoboost and have noticed that the steering it sticky when moving from centre on the freeway.
It feels steering its sitting in a groove then when moved left or right a couple of degrees its sits in another and doesn't come back to centre freely.
it only happens when sitting above 80kmph
Any ideas
TIA
Anything with steering and brakes needs attention right away. I would get right to a service center and get that checked out. You can trace the parts from the steering wheel to the ends of each tie rod to start with....looking for play or broken or cracked parts.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
2nd that!

When you have to "wait" for the vehicle to let you be in control - it's time for it to get checked out.

This could be from loose lug nuts to tie-rod ends coming loose onto bad lower ball joint to even loose or broken shock mounts.

This could also mean you have issues with the steering knuckle to steering rack - a "toothed" shaft comes out of the floor to meet and mesh it the steering wheels output shaft - in between this is the "sensor" that sends the rotation signals to the Power steering controller - being electronic.

Which adds to this issue of electrical - battery terminal - positive - has a feed cable to the power steering motor - if this is loose or your having issues with charging or old battery - this may mean the voltage drop is low enough for you to sense something is wrong thru the steering being slower.

IF you're hearing any rattles - note their location "sound - like" and what you're doing to create them to help the shop isolate and localize the problem.

City
BERKLEY
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 SES HB
Strangely, the symptom reminds me of the head tube ball bearings on bicycles after they take a big hit and, "dimple," the bearing race. Moving the handlebars will feel notchy and transitioning from straight ahead into a turn and back to straight can feel like they, "click," into and out of dead-ahead. The only thing that I can think of that would have bearings in a similar arrangement in the steering is the strut bearings. I'm not saying I'm positive that's what it is, but something to keep in mind.